© Jerry F. Couch ACCORDING TO LOCAL LEGEND, “The Lake” in St. Paul was formed when a group of boys plugged an opening at the bottom of a large sinkhole at the northern end of Fifth Avenue. Water from adjacent springs filled the sinkhole and a good-sized pond was the result. It was the largest… Read More How “The Lake” became St. Paul’s “Lake Estonoa” Part I
© Jerry F. Couch The following biographical sketch of Dr. James Noah Greear is excerpted from A Narrative History of Wise County, Virginia by Charles A. Johnson. Dr. James Noah Greear was born on his father’s homestead near Coeburn, February 27, 1859, and was reared there. Possessed of a strong will power and determination, and… Read More Dr. James Noah Greear, Early Physician of Castlewood & St. Paul
FOR ALMOST 100 YEARS, the St. Paul First Baptist Church building has been a Fourth Avenue landmark. To keep it looking good, some updates are being carried out. One area that recently received attention is the nursery. In addition to new paint and flooring, the nursery now sports a mural commissioned by the church’s Young… Read More New Mural at St. Paul First Baptist Church
© Jerry F. Couch No, this isn’t a contest. It’s the story of a building that experienced some calamitous events over the years. The Vance building (its actual name was Riverside Café) was the only restaurant in its particular section of St. Paul to be continuously owned and operated by the same family throughout its… Read More The Most Lucky or the Least Lucky House in St. Paul?
© Jerry F. Couch The Clinch Valley Times’ demolition photos of “The Old Smokestack” you see here were taken in July and August of 1981. The smokestack was one of the few remaining components of the Clinch River Extract Company’s manufacturing plant – once one of the largest employers in Wise County. Here’s a picture… Read More “Decline & Fall” of the Clinch River Extract Co. Smokestack 1916 – 1981